Fifa Dismisses Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lamour Following Criticism of President Infantino
Fifa has terminated the employment of its Chief Operating Officer, Kevin Lamour, just weeks after he openly criticized President Gianni Infantino’s aborted plan to sell stakes in competitions to private investors, according to BBC Sport.
A spokesperson for Fifa confirmed that Lamour’s working relationship with the organization ended on August 17, 2026. The statement expressed gratitude for Lamour’s two years of service, wishing him well in future endeavors.
On Monday evening, Fifa’s Secretary General Mattias Grafstrom informed staff of the decision via email, stating that the organization and Lamour had “agreed to part ways.”
Last month, Lamour characterized the contentious Fifa Forward Enterprise (FFE) initiative as the vision of “one person,” urging football’s political leaders to pose critical questions and make informed decisions. He claimed that Fifa’s administration had been “deceived” regarding the now-defunct project.
Lamour emphasized that the mission of Fifa staff is to serve football, stating, “A president must bring people together, unite them, and inspire them. Today, we are experiencing the opposite.”
While acknowledging his duty of loyalty to Fifa, Lamour also reiterated his commitment to “certain values” and supporting his colleagues. He expressed his acceptance of the potential consequences of his stance, saying, “If that means I lose my job, then so be it. I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.”
Joining Fifa in November 2024, Lamour previously held the position of deputy general secretary at UEFA and was positioned two management levels below Infantino.
Earlier this month, Infantino received support from senior executives in a meeting in Morocco; however, Lamour was reportedly not invited.
Grafstrom sent a letter to Fifa’s Council members, which has been reviewed by BBC Sport, announcing Lamour’s departure and expressing appreciation for his dedication and contributions to the organization.
Advertisement
Surrounding Context
Infantino faces mounting scrutiny after proposing to establish a new entity, FFE, to oversee the commercial and ticketing rights for all Fifa competitions, including the World Cup. The plan was ultimately abandoned after Infantino’s intention to sell a 21% stake to private investors sparked widespread backlash.
Organizations such as UEFA, Concacaf, and the Asian Football Confederation publicly opposed the initiative, with UEFA threatening to boycott the World Cup if it proceeded. Following the halt of the proposal, both UEFA and Concacaf withdrew their support for Infantino as he aims for a fourth presidential term at the Fifa Congress next March.
Despite this, some Concacaf members, including Mexico, have diverged from their confederation to back Infantino, while support continues from the African, South American, and Oceania confederations.
On Monday, the Scottish FA withdrew its support for Infantino, joining the ranks of England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland. The football governance charity FairSquare has also urged Fifa to prevent Infantino from running for re-election.
Fifa’s chief operating officer Kevin Lamour has been sacked by the governing body, less than three weeks after he strongly criticised its president Gianni Infantino’s aborted plan to sell stakes in competitions to private investors, BBC Sport has been told.
In a statement, a Fifa spokesperson would only confirm that “the working relationship between Fifa and Kevin Lamour as Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026.
Advertisement
“Fifa thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future.”
Fifa’s staff were informed of the news in an email by its secretary general Mattias Grafstrom on Monday evening, who told them the organisation and Lamour had “agreed to part ways”.
Last month, Lamour described the controversial Fifa Forward Enterprise (FFE) plans as “the project of one person”, and said “the time has now come for football political leaders to ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions”.
He added Fifa’s own administration was “deceived” about the now abandoned project.
Advertisement
“Our mission – the mission of the hundreds of passionate, dedicated, and exemplary Fifa employees – is to serve football”, he added.
“A president must bring people together, unite them, and inspire them. Today, we are experiencing the opposite.”
Lamour acknowledged he had a duty of loyalty to his employer but also to “certain values” and supporting his colleagues.
“If that means I lose my job, then so be it,” he added. “I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.”
Lamour joined Fifa in November 2024, having previously served as deputy general secretary at Uefa, and was two layers of management below Infantino.
Advertisement
Earlier this month, Infantino received the backing of senior executives in a meeting in Morocco, but BBC Sport was told Lamour was not invited.
Lamour has been approached for comment.
In a letter sent to members of Fifa’s Council, and seen by BBC Sport, Grafstrom wrote: “I would like to provide you with an important update regarding a change within the Fifa Administration.
“Following recent discussions, Fifa and our Chief Operating Officer, Kevin Lamour have agreed to part ways. This decision was made after careful consideration and with great respect for Kevin, both personally and professionally… I felt it was important that I personally provide you this update and I would like to express my gratitude to Kevin for these contributions and for his work and commitment on behalf of Fifa on a daily basis. I wish Kevin all the best for the future.”
Advertisement
How did we get to this point?
Infantino is under increasing pressure following his proposal to create a new company – FFE – to manage the commercial and ticketing rights of all Fifa competitions, including World Cups.
FFE was aborted after Infantino’s plan to sell 21% of the company to private investment companies received widespread criticism.
Uefa, Concacaf – who govern football in North and Central America and the Caribbean – and the Asian Football Confederation publicly opposed the plan, while Uefa threatened to boycott the World Cup if the plan went ahead.
Lamour criticised Infantino, while a senior adviser to Infantino, Carlos Cordeiro, resigned.
Advertisement
After the proposal was aborted, Uefa and Concacaf withdrew their support for Infantino when he stands for a fourth presidential term at the Fifa Congress in March next year.
Several Concacaf members including Mexico broke ranks with their confederation to offer their support for Infantino, while the confederations of Africa, South America and Oceania have backed Infantino.
On Monday the Scottish FA became the latest body to withdraw its support for Infantino, following England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
Football governance charity FairSquare said it had written to Fifa demanding Infantino not be allowed to stand for re-election.
[/gpt3]
