Headline: FIFA COO Kevin Lamour Departures Following Criticism of Gianni Infantino’s Leadership
Kevin Lamour, the FIFA official who publicly criticized Gianni Infantino’s leadership and opposed the FIFA Forward Enterprise (FFE) proposal, has exited the global governing body. The 46-year-old had served as chief operating officer and expressed his concerns, stating that FIFA staff had been “deceived” by Infantino regarding the initiative.
A statement from FIFA confirmed that Lamour’s working relationship as COO ended on August 17, 2026. It thanked him for his two years of service and wished him well in future endeavors, adding that no further comments would be issued on the matter.
In a statement on July 31, Lamour acknowledged the possible fallout from his outspoken stance on the FFE plan. He described it as “the project of one person” and urged football leaders to ask themselves the right questions and make appropriate decisions. “If that means I lose my job, then so be it,” he remarked. “I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.”
According to reports from the New York Times, Lamour also voted against the FFE plan during a meeting held just a day before the World Cup final on July 18. FIFA’s Secretary General Mattias Grafstrom communicated Lamour’s departure to staff via email.
It is reported that Grafstrom, rather than Infantino, conducted the final discussions with Lamour about his exit, which surprised senior figures in the football community considering the significance of Lamour’s prior statements aimed at Infantino.
Kevin Lamour, the Fifa official who criticised Gianni Infantino‘s leadership and voted against the Fifa Forward Enterprise proposal, has left the global governing body.
The 46-year-old had been working as chief operating officer, the position from which he told Associated Press on 31 July that Fifa staff had been “deceived” by Infantino regarding the plan.
Advertisement
A statement from the body read: “Fifa can confirm that the working relationship between Fifa and Kevin Lamour as Fifa’s Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026.
“Fifa thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future.
“No further comment will be made on the matter.”
Lamour had acknowledged this possibility in his statement on 31 July, having initially excoriated the FFE plan.
“It is the project of one person,” he said. “Not only must this project not go ahead … but the time has now come for football political leaders to ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions.”
Advertisement
His statement went on: “If that means I lose my job, then so be it,” his statement to AP added. “I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.”
Lamour is also understood to have voted against the FFE plan in a meeting held on the day before the World Cup final, on 18 July, according to a report by the New York Times.
Fifa’s secretary general Mattias Grafstrom informed staff via email that the COO would be leaving the governing body.
Sources have said that it was Grafstrom, rather than Infantino, who had the final discussion with Lamour. Senior figures in football were taken aback at this aspect, especially when Lamour’s key statement had been so centred on Infantino.
[/gpt3]
