Headline: Liverpool Manager Confirms Upcoming Player Signings Before Transfer Window Closes
Liverpool manager Andoni Iraola has assured fans that the club will “definitely sign some players” before the conclusion of the summer transfer window. The Spaniard acknowledged that his squad remains “still quite thin” in certain areas as the new season unfolds.
The recent departures of key players, including Mohamed Salah, Ibrahima Konate, and Curtis Jones, alongside Hugo Ekitike’s long-term injury, have left Liverpool short in several crucial positions as they begin the 2026/27 season.
So far this summer, only winger Victor Munoz and defender Ronaldo Araujo have joined the Reds, with Jeremey Jacquet also arriving at Anfield following a £55 million transfer agreed back in February.
Iraola emphasized the urgent need for further new signings, explaining that while some deals can take time to finalize, the club aims to improve its depth for the campaign ahead. “We will definitely sign some players. Some deals you have to wait until the end,” he told Sky Sports.
The manager highlighted the importance of the squad’s composition by September 1, stating, “But the end is the important picture, the one we will have on September 1, because it is true that we are still quite thin.”
Despite possessing notable talent, the Liverpool squad requires more depth and quality, particularly in key positions if they intend to compete for the Premier League title this season.
The club has been diligently looking for reinforcements, primarily focused on enhancing the wings. Iraola’s comments may hint at interest in acquiring PSG winger Bradley Barcola, emphasizing that certain transfers take longer than others. Liverpool has pursued the Frenchman since early summer but faces challenges in negotiations over his valuation, with PSG reportedly seeking £145 million.
Additionally, Liverpool recently had a bid of £50 million for Brighton winger Yankuba Minteh rejected, leaving uncertainty regarding a potential re-approach for the Gambian player.
Liverpool is set to kick off its 2026/27 season against Newcastle on Sunday, August 23, at St James’ Park.
Liverpool manager Andoni Iraola has claimed that the club will “definitely sign some players” before the end of the summer transfer window, with the Spaniard admitting his squad is “still quite thin” in places.
Advertisement
The departures of Mohamed Salah, Ibrahima Konate and Curtis Jones – as well as a long-term injury to Hugo Ekitike – mean that the Reds are light in some key areas as the 2026/27 season begins.
Winger Victor Munoz and defender Ronaldo Araujo have been the only arrivals this summer, though Jeremey Jacquet has also arrived at Anfield after a £55m deal was agreed for the Frenchman back in February.
Andoni Iraola is trying to bring high-intensity football back to Anfield (PA)
And Iraola addressed the need for more arrivals before the end of the window, with the former Bournemouth manager explaining that some deals take longer to complete. “We will definitely sign some players. Some deals you have to wait until the end,” Iraola told Sky Sports.
Advertisement
“But the end is the important picture, the one we will have on September 1, because it is true that we are still quite thin,” added the Spaniard.
While there is plenty of talent in the Reds’ squad, more depth – and some quality in key areas of the starting XI – will be needed if they are hoping to challenge for the Premier League title.
The club has been actively pursuing reinforcements, most notably on the wings, and Iraola may well have been referencing a deal for PSG winger Bradley Barcola when he pointed out how some deals take longer than others.
The Reds have held an interest in the Frenchman since the beginning of the summer, and while they have been negotiating with PSG, the two clubs remain apart in terms of valuations, with the European champions reportedly demanding £145m for the Frenchman.
Advertisement
Liverpool also had a recent bid of £50m turned down for Brighton winger Yankuba Minteh, though it is not known whether they will re-visit a move for the Gambia winger.
The Reds kick off their 2026/27 campaign away to Newcastle, with that game taking place on Sunday, 23 August at St James’ Park.
[/gpt3]
